Kale Salad with Quinoa + Avocado
Salads don’t fill me up...
Happy Sunday, friends! If you’re the person that gets full very quickly only to get hungry again in an hour (hello, my life story!) this salad might be a blessing in disguise. The quinoa is light, but since it is a grain it helps you stay full longer. I often find it hard to strike a balance between feeling overfull from carbs and hungry in an hour from not eating enough carbs.
I know it’s super frustrating trying to make diet changes —like eating more greens and salads— when you’re constantly just not getting full. Lettuce, kale, and arugula all have very few calories after all. Quinoa is light and filling which makes it a perfect addition to any salad if you ask me.
Protein for Vegans.
If you’re a vegan, you probably already have an exhaustive list of protein replacements — but if you’re looking into diving in or just curious, read on!
Quinoa is a vegan staple because it has the highest protein count of any grain. Vegans, add this to your diet! More importantly it’s a complete protein. Complete proteins contain all essential amino acids, there are nine, just how animal products contain complete proteins. “Essential” just means that these are proteins that your body can’t make itself so you have to get them in your diet. Starting to see why having complete proteins daily makes sense? Also, quinoa is gluten free! (▰˘◡˘▰)
Kale Salad with Quinoa & Avocado
A light, yet filling salad, with quinoa, kale, avocado and cucumber.
Makes: 2 salads
i n g r e d i e n t s
- 2 handfuls kale
- 1/2 c. quinoa
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- sprinkle of sunflower seeds
m e t h o d
- Rinse quinoa, as you should with any grain, under cold running water.
- After rinsing, submerge in 1 c. water and bring to simmer for 15 min.
- Quinoa is done when a thin white ring appears around each grain.
- In the meantime, rinse kale and plate.
- Slice cucumber 1" thick and cut into thirds.
- Slice each avocado half into six segments for big chunks.
- Add all ingredients together and enjoy!
share the love
S I M I L A R recipes